Thursday, September 4, 2008

Context The Three R's: Reading, Riding and Recording





The two sketches I drew while riding the bus, thus why they are not very straight lines.

The map that a very nice GTA worker gave us to find our way home and also save our lives.

During this process I started off by first Riding, then Recording as well as Reading. I found each part very intriguing and unique. I started my journey at around 2:40 by first riding the Heat bus with Melia to the bus depot in downtown Greensboro. A somewhat short trip involving some fellow UNCG students and some cafeteria and custodial workers. Entering into the city we stopped at about 2 stations, picking up people we did not recognize, nor felt like we had much in common with. The plan was to take the Heat bus to the depot, then get on the bus to Friendly Center, possibly shop a little, get smoothies on the hot 90 degree + day and head home on the well known HEAT bus. It would be an easy journey and fill the requirement in for the class. What we did not expect is to be in the Greensboro Transit Authority's presence for 3+ hours. When we reached the bus station we found out that loading dock 7 was the one that would take us to Friendly. We waited for about 20-30 minutes observing around us. Now we knew we were entering the city and taking public transportation, but we did not expect to feel so disconnected from everyone. Being raised in the most rural of suburbs outside Philadelphia I have not experienced much diversity in my lifetime. Sure I have seen people of different religions and races, but not on an everyday basis. Going to UNCG alone was a huge step for me with developing the ways that other people live. But while waiting for that number 7 Friendly Bus I have never felt more out of my element in my entire life. I know Melia was feeling the same way by her facial expressions, but surprisingly the cat caught her tongue for once and she had a loss for words. After waiting awhile for the Bus we opted to take the Summit Ave. bus that seemed to return the quickest. We did not think ahead that there may be two buses riding the same route, so we hopped on looking to just fulfill a class requirement and what we got was an adventure. We figured out later that many people on our route were going to the Local Walmart to purchase some items. Looking around the bus the people seemed all of the same race and mostly the same social rankings. I do not know if this has to do with the lack of their own personal transportation system or the city of Greensboro, but I have to say after riding this bus I felt almost prissy the way I sat on the bus. I felt many people were judging me and almost looking down on me because they thought that I thought I was better than them. After being teased that we were almost back to the depot several times during an hour and a half time frame we finally were back at the depot again waiting for the HEAT bus to pick us up and return us to the lovely clock tower on campus. While waiting in the bus depot Melia and I discussed some of our experiences. She admitted being too scared to talk about some of hers because none of them were positive. We both concluded that to ride the bus you have to not be in any hurry to get to your intended destination. You also have to realize you may have to switch your path to get to your final destination. This experience also helped me learn not to complain about anything I have because I know about 5 miles down the road people have it way worse off then I do.

No comments: