Monday, October 8, 2007

Memory Box

"Design a Container, to house a memory."

This is my first idea, it was to make a container that changes shape and molds into a different object. The fortune teller seemed like a good idea, but needed a little help.

This was my second iteration, I had a hard time making a project that transformed into another without overlapping or making it sloppy looking.

This was my third iteration that looks somewhat unfinished due to the pictures my mom sent in the mail had not gotten here yet. I did have some pictures on the outside, but they were taken out when I scanned them for my final, there also was a ribbon that attached the box together, so you could see inside and open it as well.

These were all of my iterations.












The Objective of this assignment was to, "Design a Container, to house a memory." With this as a prompt, I got right to work. I started brain storming many different significant memories. There was everything from running my first cross country race, playing a violin solo and breaking my arm. While I pondered all these memories, one really stuck out in my mind. The memory of my brother, Timothy being born is one of the most hazzy, but also the first thing I can remember about my life. I remember everything from eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and sitting in the waiting room with my dad and grandmother watching ice skating in the middle of a smoldering July day. I also remember jumping on my mom's stomach right after the cesarean she performed. I decided to represent this memory with a simple box. On the outside, the box is only half covered with pictures, this resembles my life was not full until my brother was born. The outside also shows pictures of only me and my mom or me and my dad. This represents my life before my brother was born, I was an only child and all my parents attention was directed towards me. When you open the box it shows when my brother was born. The box changes into a different shape, representing the significant change in my life and the pictures inside the box contain both my brother and me and our whole family.

No comments: