Sunday, December 9, 2007

Products/Artifacts


This piece looks like a mirror instead of a picture frame. I feel it has a very intense purpose. It reminds me of the mirror from Snow White, where the witch sees her reflection and speaks to it. The portrait at the top reminds me of a lapel pin or a necklace.

This piece was an ornamentation taken from a piece of furniture. It shows lace and a formal collar on the model, which leads me to believe that the person who this was made for had money to spend. The piece is very victorian. I have to say my favorite part is the circular shape. It appears to look like a coin which I also love because I feel it looks like a piece of currency which is a big part of American and every other country's culture.

This piece was made to give regard to the angel Gabriel. I really enjoyed this piece. It reminded me of a Christmas ornament that we have at home. I feel that the feeling I get about this piece isn't way off of the actual meaning. The piece was carved in 1860, appearing to be in stone, which makes me believe it would be a lot older than it is.

This piece of artifact scares me. It makes me feel violated and frightened. It reminds me of a servant of the devil. It was uncovered from Bethlehem, Pa which I think is interesting. I would assume it was somewhere in Europe considering the time period and style it includes. Apparently it was used to ward off evil spirits, but I think it would enhance their presence.

This piece is titled the Lady with the Urn. It is a neoclassical version of a greek goddess pouring water. It once decorated a stately Scottish home. The piece reminds me of a bible scene with a woman going to a well to answer the lord's request. It makes me feel appreciative that such great sculpting exsists today and has for many years.

This piece shows a typical 19th century American farm scene. It demonstrates the life of a farmer. I could see this piece displayed in a farmhouse or another type of rural environment. The colors are a little bland, but I think they are displayed in a manner that would not look right any other way.

This piece has a lot of symbolism with it. It shows the angels delivering the cross to Jesus. The star at the top is supposed to be the holy spirit. The piece is another Victorian inspired piece. It shows much relevance to everyday and historical religion. I think it is very detailed and intriguing allowing viewers from all over to appreaciate not only the artwork, but story behind it.

This piece is very moving. It makes me feel powerful and inspired. I think that it demonstrates the style of the Reniassance era. It says that the lion has been known to be placed in entrance ways as guardians od the room. They are also said to be associated with loaylty and strength.

This cupid is considered an artifact. It was inspired by a Victorian furniture detail. It promotes the details of an early 20th century design. I think it is very formal and promotes a sense of peace and comfort that a guardian angel is looking out for everyone. The only complaint I have about this piece is where would you put it?
Taken from:http://www.historicimpressions.com/Victorian.htm

This chair was developed in India. I have to say it does not seem like much of a surprise. It has mostly a Mid eastern style to the seating. It is very detailed and the cuttings in the chair show that great time and effort went into this piece. I feel it would look beautiful in a formal dining room or even a foyer of a home.
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11760878/White_Metal_Furniture.html

No comments: